Northern Lights Library System (NLLS) is currently seeking innovative, collaborative and highly motivated individual for the position of Indigenous Relations Advisor
NLLS is located in Elk Point, Alberta and serves a population of 174,486 people through a network of 47 public libraries NLLS and our partners. We service 54 Municipalities, 7 First Nations and 4 Metis Settlements.
Elk Point is only two hours from Edmonton in a beautiful rural setting and surrounded by several larger centers within half an hour’s drive.
Reporting to the Manager of Public Services, the Indigenous Relations Advisor is accountable for assisting in the administration of library service and activities for and with Indigenous communities within the Northern Lights Library System.
Responsibilities are in the areas of circulation, reference, training, and communication for those on-reserve and settlements that are currently not served by a public library. In accordance with the PLSB guidelines the Indigenous Relations Advisor will also work closely with those libraries that are providing or wanting to start to provide service for on-reserve and settlements by offering support, collecting reports, and arranging Memorandum of Understanding’s.
Demonstrated knowledge of Indigenous culture and history in the geographic area is required. Fluency in Cree/nêhiyawêwin, Michif and/or Dene Sųłiné is an asset.
1. Provide services through orientation and training to Indigenous service points, libraries and, library boards and advisory boards on a variety of topics
2. Ensure communication with internal and external contacts
3. Coordinate provincial and/or national library initiatives for Northern Lights Library System
4. Help assess the needs of the member libraries for on reserve and settlements services, and provide assistance with the Indigenous grant report
5. Develop policies, services, and resources to meet the immediate and long-term goals of the library system
6. Provide training for service for on-reserve and settlement populations
This is a permanent part time position (with a possibility of moving to full time in the future) with a regular work week consisting of 20 hours. The yearly salary range for this position is $31,800- $39,100 and will be commensurate with experience and qualifications.
This position will be open until filled; interested parties to email resume and cover letter to: Terri Hampson
Interim Acting Director Northern Lights Library System Postal Bag 8, Elk Point, AB T0A 1A0 Email: [email protected] Phone: 780.724.2596 ext.2110 We thank all candidates for their applications; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
NLLS respectfully acknowledges that our workplace is situated on Treaty 6 territory, traditional lands of First Nations and Métis peoples