Northern Lights Library System (NLLS)
believes that all citizens should have equitable access
to library services.
NLLS MISSION STATEMENT
Fostering excellent library service in Northeastern Alberta.
What We Do
The Northern Lights Library System (NLLS) is one part of the seven regional library systems across Alberta, helping deliver comprehensive, efficient library services to all Albertans, regardless of where they live. Working together, NLLS libraries in northeast Alberta are able to accomplish more than any single library could alone. Our member libraries make their own decisions on building their collections, staffing, budgeting, and setting policies. But together, we offer:
- Access to a combined inventory of materials and services for all patrons to enjoy
- A gateway to global information services delivered locally
- A strong and united voice in provincial library initiatives
- System-wide back-end services so member libraries can concentrate on local customer service
- Pooling of resources in order to maximize value and minimize costs
- Support for member libraries to remain current in our ever-changing knowledge-based environment
Located in Elk Point, Northern Lights headquarters is operated by a team of library specialists who coordinate all NLLS functions and assist each member library in a variety of ways:
- Consulting for services, facilities, technology & programs
- Central ordering, cataloguing & processing of library materials
- Reference & information services
- Delivery services
- Union catalogue of member library resources
- Circulating block collections of talking books, large print & specialty theme collections
- Continuing staff education & training
- Membership in The Alberta Library (TAL) card program, providing privileges at other Alberta libraries
NLLS serves 52 municipalities and a population of 156,465.